Thursday, May 12, 2011

Outgoing to 2011 Letters, and a video from the Chincoteague Pony Swim





 Here's my letter to the 2011 Letters project.  I ended up writing more about Maryland where I grew up, than I did about Boston.  I can't even tell you how much I love Maryland.
I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (the DelMarVa peninsula) and I lived about 40 minutes away from Chincoteague of the famous Chincoteague ponies. 
(Chincoteague is actually in Virginia)


In 2009 I went to the Annual Chincoteague Pony Swim.  Here is the description from the Assateague Island website "The Pony Swim has occurred since 1925. If you go, be prepared to wait for long hours with the crowds in the hot sun. During the brief 3 minute pony swim event, the wild horses swim across the Assateague Channel when the tide is "slack calm" so the young ponies, which are born during spring or early summer, are safe from any strong currents."

This is your basic view of the actual swim:

But afterwards, there is a parade through the town, and if you get a good spot, you can see the horses very close up.  Here is the video I took:



1 comment:

  1. It's funny how all the mail enthusiasts are somehow linked! I have also participated in 2011 letters project and I found your penguin postcard project via Postmuse's Orphaned Postcard Project which I found via Postcrossing :)

    ReplyDelete