Friday, May 13, 2011

PENGUIN #2 Nineteen Eighty-Four



Finally I'm getting around to posting one of the adopted postcards that have made their way back to me.  This one was adopted by Marie in Germany.

A tale of total government control, brainwashing and doublespeak, this is not the cheeriest book ever.  Marie found it sad and frustrating, and I admit that I did too.

I read it once in highschool and a second time during college when I volunteered with other philosophy students at the nearby medium security prison to lead a reading group with the inmates.  The inmates saw many parallels between the world of 1984 and our world.  I admit, they are much more prone to conspiracy theories than the average person, but I do see enough similarities between the book and real life for it to be a bit scary.


Thanks so much for participating in my project Marie!




And  
here  
is a   
lovely 
German
stamp!

No comments:

Post a Comment