Friday, April 8, 2011

PENGUIN # 1 Plays by Oscar Wilde

This first postcard was requested by my mom, always supportive :-)

The only Oscar Wilde play I have read is The Importance of Being Earnest, and this is the one that my mom talks about.  She reminded me of the great term : Bunburying, and shared the wiktionary definition: Avoiding one's duties and responsibilities by claiming to have appointments to see a fictitious person.

I've never seen The Importance of Being Earnest performed in a theater, but there are excerpts of it in one of my favorite movies, Who Am I This Time? starring Christopher Walken and Susan Sarandon.  Near the end of the film they "play" the roles of Ernest/Jack and Gwendolen.
The film is based off of a short story by Kurt Vonnegut.

If you skip to 2:45 you'll see the part with The Importance of Being Earnest.  I suggest that you watch the whole film though, it's a great movie, especially for theater lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment