Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Trip to New Mexico

This past week Clay and I went for a trip to New Mexico so that I could meet his grandparents, and a bunch of other family that probably won't be able to make it to our wedding.

I had such a fantastic time. It was kind of the first time I'd been out west. I had gone to Arizona with my family when I was maybe 7 or so, but I don't remember much except that it was brown and ugly to me. 

Almost 20 years later I find myself much more able to appreciate the beauty of the west. Sadly it was extremely dry in New Mexico. They've been having a drought for three or so years. But the colors of the desert and the mountains were beautiful to me this time around. 

We spent time in Albuquerque and in the small town in northeastern New Mexico where Clay's grandparents live. We also took a day trip to Santa Fe, which was gorgeous. I just LOVED the adobe architecture that was everywhere.

Some postcards I sent:


This is how dry it is there. Heard of tumbleweeds? This tree is engulfed by them.

 
Here's another one.

Clay really wanted to go to the rattlesnake museum because normally when he's out in New Mexico he's there with his sister or mom, who hate snakes. So I agreed to go with him and he was so happy. I won't post any photos of the actual snakes. I was nervous the whole time I was in there. 

But! They had a mail exhibit!!
It was so cool! They had mail from places with names of snakes or other reptiles, with nice postmarks and some with really great illustrations on them.






No comments:

Post a Comment