Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Pineapple Rum Cream Pie


I'm definitely obsessed with pie.  This pie I just kind of made up on the spot because I really wanted to make a pie, and I didn't want to go shopping. We had a pineapple that was very ripe and needed to be eaten, and not much else. 

Ever since my discovery of the two layer pie-- something on the bottom and then fresh fruit on top, it's so easy to think up new pies. Also I keep getting pie books out from the library.  Right now I have out The Perfect Pie by Susan Purdy and A Year of Pies by Ashley English. The Perfect Pie is really cool because there is a section at the back of pie and tart recipes, but there are also pretty hefty sections of crust recipes and what I'm going to call Pie Component recipes. In that section there is a recipe for Pastry Cream or Crème Pâtissière. So I made that and added a tablespoon of dark rum since I was going for a Caribbean feel with the pineapple.  For the crust, we had run out of graham crackers, so I used some lemon snap cookies that I had bought to experiment with.

I really liked this pie.  Sometimes it tasted like it had bananas or coconut in it. I'm not sure if that was just power of imagination or what. The phantom coconut feeling definitely came from the consistency of the crust; I've had crusts made with some shredded coconut and it felt very similar.

This was a great summer pie. The crust bakes for about 10 minutes and the pastry cream cooks on the stove top again for about 10 minutes, so there's not much to heat up your kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment