Thursday, August 1, 2019

WRP 2: United Kingdom

World Reading Project, Book #2

United Kingdom
My Man Jeeves, by P. G. Wodehouse, 1919

This project is partly to stretch my reading experience since previously I did not read many books from outside the US. This book was not a stretch for me because I've read and loved Wodehouse before, but I let myself have this hilarious and cozy read. The book is a series of short stories, mostly about Bertie Wooster and his inimitable butler, Jeeves. The formula is: Bertie is constantly getting into scrapes, everything goes wrong with no possible solution in sight, and Jeeves saves the day at the end with some very clever fix. I find that reading the whole book through in one go can even get a little tiring because this formula is repeated over and over. But, BUT... you get lines like this: "I was in bed, restoring the good old tissues with about nine hours of the dreamless, when the door flew open and somebody prodded me in the lower ribs and began to shake the bedclothes." I find his writing style hilarious. I wish I could incorporate expressions like that into my everyday. "What ho!"

No comments:

Post a Comment